VCARA CLUB HOUSE - HARRISON PARK WEST
When W9UJ, Nathaniel (Nat) Smith took over as Trustee in 1958, he donated a bus to the club. The bus was kept at Leo Archambault, W9UJ's home, in the Heights, west of town. As W9UJ did, Many Jolly Lads (MJL), followed by donating radios, antennas and many amateur radio items. They used the bus for some of the communication events for Vermilion County and they took the bus to Hamfests and Field Days at CCC Camps (Civilian Conservation Corps).
In the late 50's and 60's the VCARA started holding their Field Days at Harrison Park West. They liked the site and were able to negotiate with the city of Danville to lease land at the park. Then in the late 60's, around 1968, WA9IPT, Walter Hershberger, a foreman of the Union Contractors Construction Company called in some favors from Union Brothers and he and many hams put in their money and time to build the "A" frame, the VCARA Club House.
The VCARA club house exists today and is maintained by members. Most events are held at this location on Woodbury Hill.